ExpressBPEL Engine is the core Server-Side component of the ExpressBPEL BPM Platform. The Engine is responsible for hosting and executing Business Processes and providing the Communication and Content Management and HumanTask management services required by a Business Process.
The Engine supports the following broad set of BPM scenarios,
- Integration Centric
- HumanTask Centric
- CaseManagement Centric
Robust architecture provides a fail-safe execution environment for business processes execution and its in-memory infrastructure can scale to over 10K processes-per-engine instance.
The engine supports the following key functionalities,
- Execution of Business Processes compliant with the WS-BPEL 2.0 Standard (OASIS)
- Communication Bus for enabling a business process to communicate with external applications using the Web Services, REST-API and JMS protocols.
- Data Persistence in RDBMS using JDBC and simplified access using ORM API’s.
- XSLT based Data Mapper for external data transformation
- Adapter Library for Application Integration (JAVA,.NET,Scripting Languages)
- ContentManagement support for content persistence and version management
- HumanTask support compliant with WS-HumanTask standard (OASIS).
The Engine with the above capabilities supports the following set of BPM usecases,
- Integration Centric Usecase, The Business Process can communicate to external entities using Web Services, REST-API, JMS and using Integration Adapters.
- HumanTask Centric UseCase, Human Tasks within a Business Process can routed to the appropriate user within an Enterprise based on his/her role. Human Tasks display enabled via HTML/JSP forms.
- Case-Centric Usecases, requiring a combination of Integration and HumanTask centric capabilities and additionally requiring a robust Content Management system to support process steps, Human Tasks and Content modelled within a Business Process.
Business Process definitions are WS-BPEL 2.0 compliant which supports,
- MicroFlows and Long running processes
- Support for sequential and parallel execution of BPEL Activities
- Support for BPEL Activites such as Control loops, Data assignment, external system communication
- Support for modeling Business Process Faults and Compensation activities
- Native support for the Web Services protocol
- XPath style expressions and business rules
- XSLT data mapping and transformation
Additional features of the platform includes,
- Failover detection and business continuity support with 0% dataloss
- Light-Weight Registry for external application registration and lookup
- Business Process instance control (Start,Stop,Pause, Restart)
- Simulation and debugging of Business Processes
- Business Process data CheckPointing for recovery
- In-memory execution to support over 10000 business process instances per instance